Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Other Woman (1-15-11)

Disclaimer on tonight's blog. I (baby Ryan) insist that Cash is NOT jealous of me but rather that everyone keeps saying what a good eater I am and therefore holds resentment towards wonderful, happy, giggly, will eat anything you put in front of him, me. :)




I remember trying to prepare myself for the sibling rivalry I could expect to see between the boys by reading those portions of my toddler books. There were also countless internet articles on the subject but a year and a half later this one particular piece on the subject still sticks in my mind. The author asked you to imagine:


"How you would feel if your husband walked in the front door with another woman, and cheerfully announced (fully expecting you to be happy about it): “Look, honey — this is our new wife! We’re all going to live together, and be happy together…and by the way, isn’t she cute?” Well, it’s the same thing for your firstborn when you step in the door with a new baby — understand that, and you’ll be better able to empathize." 


After reading this I thought there would be no hope for these two to ever get along. I don't know about you ladies, but this just wouldn't fly in my house! My boys, I wanted them to be as close as my husband is with his brother. I have watched them (my husband and his brother) for years work together, support one another, and even be each others best man. When I confirmed we were having another boy, a fact I insist I knew from the 1st week, I was overjoyed that Cash would have a brother. So when he told me last week that he didn't want baby Ryan anymore and he only liked his cousin baby Gage, the above article came reeling back into my mind.  And tonight when I asked if he would like "a break" from baby Ryan who kept getting into his things (I believe the train track got torn apart in one swoop) he was emphatic with a "yes!" So baby and I snuck off to the grandparents for a few hours and when baby and I came home he didn't complain, he didn't jump for joy, but that is probably to be expected.







No comments:

Post a Comment